Wednesday, September 19, 2007

 

Ah, September

I got to Sidetrack Saturday afternoon. It was to be a three-day vacation. Little did I know how much I needed it. I found out because I kept falling asleep.

I'd read for awhile. I'd fall asleep. I'd go for a walk. I'd fall asleep. I'd try to watch television. I'd fall asleep.

It was quiet. Skip was the only other person on East Little Blake Lake Lane. I didn't touch the computer until Monday morning when I went to Grandma Bonnie's in Amery.

One of the highlights was seeing three swans fly across the lake headed northeast. It was the first time I'd seen swans since the failed attempt to install swans in the Straight River bog north of Little Blake.

I also got a front row seat to a young eagle's confrontation with something in a tree next to the cabin. I don't know what got the big baby so upset, but it was a loud scene.



On a quieter note, we have our own little solar calendar in the courtyard at Sidetrack. At sunset, there's a pretty distinct shadow across the courtyard. I have laid bricks in the courtyard so the long side matches the shadow on the first days of months. Here's a photo of the September 1st brick taken on September 15. You can see how much the shadow has moved in two weeks as the sun retreats to the south.

The other things I looked at were the treetops. Usually, I'm intrigued by the lake. I spent time meditating on the waves in the water. (Waves are energy moving through the water. That's hard to understand even when it's visible.)

I stood on the dock, turned around, and looked at the trees in just the right light. Wonderful.







Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?