Monday, May 18, 2009

 

MidMay

I got here on Friday afternoon. If I thought it was cool and windy for the fishing opener a couple weeks ago, that was nothing compared to the rain, wind, and cold Friday night and Saturday. Sunday was still cold, but at least the sky was blue and the sun shone.

Before the clouds covered the sky, I did find a silly blossom on a plant (a lungwort) I put in the terrace last fall. What's with this thing? I was also able to sit on the deck and read some. While there I did see an eagle and saw and heard a loon.

Then the overcast appeared. Around dinner time, it began raining and kept raining until after I went to bed.

Somewhen during the night the wind began blowing from the southwest. I woke a couple times during the night to the sound of the air moving rapidly through the trees.

In the morning, the temperature was just about 40° and the wind kept blowing. I could feel it blowing through the walls. I kept the space heater running and it had trouble keeping the temperature comfortable.

Saturday morning, I went to Cafe Wren for breakfast and contact with the outside world. Later in the day, there was too much wind chill to do any work in the yard. I had to nap and read and sit and meditate on the beauty of the lake and thrashing of the tree branches.

There's a lot to be said for semi-enforced inactivity.

Sunday morning was time for coffee with the neighbors and getting reacquainted after the winter. That felt good. And things were gorgeous as usual. The loons were loud. The vistas across the lake were really fine. I want to go back. NOW.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?