Wednesday, July 01, 2009

 

Return after 3 weeks

Finally! Back at Sidetrack. It was cool yesterday -- the bank thermometer near the Amery grocery store read 54° when I stopped to shop around noon. Turning on the heat was one of the first tasks after I got here.

And that was the exciting part of my day.

Everything looks good.


The maltese cross are blooming in the terrace and in the front garden.


The tickseed is blooming in the front garden, some little purple things have volunteered there, and a bunch of other things are getting ready to look good.


The salvia are bright and attracting humming birds. But, just minutes after I filled and hung the humming bird feeder on the deck, the little flyers were flocking to the jar of red liquid. (Pictures tomorrow, maybe.)


And, in the terrace, a hardy lupine has appeared in an unexpected area and is collecting water just as designed. These things die off and their descendants appear. Can't count on them. How did the Lupine Lady (Miss Rumphius) do it?

Sorry about all the flower pics, but if I took pictures of me reading books (about all there was to do in this cool weather), they'd be less exciting. I could take a picture while I'm here at Cafe Wren, but I didn't bring the camera. And it's just me and my coffee and the computer sitting by the window with Hwy 35 outside the window.


See Lupine Lady at Bowdoin College Museum of Art






Comments:
From Nancy:


Loved the Lupine Lady link ... which inspired me to find this

Maine Coast Bookshop

which confirms "our" tangential relationship to the Miss Rumphius story -- its inspiration by the grandmother of my "best woman" Jennifer Hamlin. I actually met Hilda at Christmas Cove, Maine, though I have to say she was not as delightful at that stage in her life as the book makes her out to be. This was, after all, someone who went about sowing flowers in other people's yards.

*****
Nancy

The universe is made of stories, not atoms - Muriel Rukeyser
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?