Sunday, September 27, 2009

 

Almost October

After the rain all day and evening on Friday, Saturday dawned cloudy and foggy. But it was a great day.

I was lazy and read a lot. Nancy spent almost all day in her office. She's editing another romance novel.



I went up the road past Hunky Dory to the culvert where the Straight River runs under the road. As you can see the Straight River isn't straight.




I spent some time clearing some brush from around a couple promising young birch trees,



and I found myself watching passing clouds, something I'd never do at home.



I also sat on the deck and watched the leaves changing color. Compare the picture below with the one from last week (see below).



At sunset, I was reminded of the Sidetrack calendar. There's a brick embedded in the patio for the first day of almost every month. The bricks are positioned where the shadow from the corner of the house falls on the patio at sunset.



It was nearly October 1, so the shadow on Saturday evening fell just short of the brick for the beginning of October.



I think we're missing bricks for February 1, March 1, and November 1. Over the last 13 years, we've been here and the sun's been shining at sunset at least once for all the other first days.

On Sunday, I stripped the dock of the decking that David and Nancy built back in '02. That removes about 400+ pounds of weight. While it's still not a one or two person job, hauling it out of the water will be easier.





While poking around the yard I found a some late flowers still blooming. It's a ground cover plant in one of the front hosta gardens.



Next week, we're closing things up. Watch for details.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?