Tuesday, June 01, 2010

 

A great long weekend

We got here on Friday of Memorial Day weekend.

The weather was summery. Sidetrack was beautiful. We were busy with work. But work in a place as beautiful as this is easier to do. I also took breaks from preparing for the class I'll teach by reading three books.




Since nearly everyone was here, it was also the weekend to canvas the neighborhood to see if fixing the potholes on the road was a good idea. I talked to nearly everyone who thought it was. (Now, to order the work.)

Saturday was really warm and breezy. My early morning canoe trip around the lake took me to the underside of Polk County. Racist graffiti adorns the bridge over the channel between the little and the big lakes.



Sunday was cooler and more pleasant. The sunset was a most unusual yellow color. Perhaps the result of the incredible yellow pollen coming from the pine trees in the neighborhood?

Monday was a nearly perfect day. It was so gorgeous that I had trouble sticking to my work schedule. I kept wanting to go outside.

Loons, eagles, and an osprey entertained at least me. A dead 18-inch muskie washed up against the shore near the dock. I hope one of the big birds finds it soon.

I'm beginning to think that something died and started stinking under the lake room. It's not pleasant to walk in there. Near sunset I looked under the house from the front, but I didn't see anything. I think I'll leave some windows cracked open when I leave.

Hope we get back soon.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?