Wednesday, June 01, 2011

 

Lazy weekend

It really was a lazy long weekend at Sidetrack. It rained off and on, but we really had no "to do" list either. We did have a great breakfast at Cafe Wren on Sunday, but otherwise we just looked at the wildlife.



The one accomplishment was feeding the hummingbirds. I'd seen some flying by, but there are hardly any flowers for them.

I filled the feeder with sucrose water fortified with calcium (for egg production). I'd like to say I splurged on that special food, but it was the only stuff available at the Ace Hardware store.

About 4 minutes later, the tiny birds were showing up to eat. I have no idea how they found the food so quickly.

From pre-dawn to post-sunset, even in the rain, they showed up to eat. Now, some of them were intent on mating as well. So often, a female would show up and then have to race off pursued by a male (I assume). But both of them had to eat sometimes. Constant entertainment all weekend. (Coloration of the females is different from the males. The males are more colorful, but when they fly by on their courting missions, it's not possible to notice the coloration.)





I hope I left enough food for the next couple weeks.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?