Tuesday, July 12, 2011

 

Long weekend

We made up for being AWOL last weekend by coming up on Wednesday and staying until tropical Sunday arrived.

The gay lilies were showing off. We often miss this display because this is the time of the summer we usually head for the mountains and cooler weather. We're here this year.



I got the canoe out right away.




I got out and toured the lake. It's still a beautiful place.





Wednesday evening everything was still. I paddled right up to a family of loons at dusk. I was quiet and they didn't seem upset. They just paddled away from me and I followed for awhile. It was too dark to take pictures.

I could even sit inside and watch the hummers of Blake Lake at work.





At another point in the long weekend a somewhat larger bird flew over. I think it's a juvenile bald eagle.



On Thursday, we wandered around the countryside and finally found the Barron County Historical Society (to donate some old glass plate negatives). While there we gave thanks for modern dentistry.



Sunday dawned hot and humid. We cleaned up and packed up and headed home early in the afternoon. No sense sweating in the tropics when we had a good four days to enjoy at the lake.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?