Sunday, August 28, 2011

 

Small world in Luck, Wisconsin

I went to Cafe Wren for breakfast and Internet access this morning. Typical Sunday morning.

I looked at e-mail and responded where appropriate. I read the Sunday comics. I read headlines and a few articles from the usual 18 sources. I did a blog post about Nigeria to the Teaching Comparative blog.

Then I posted some pictures from the beautiful day at the lake yesterday. As I was finishing up my coffee and online routines, the woman at the next table held out her smart phone, which displayed one of the photos I'd just posted (the one of the landscaping king of Little Blake Lake), and asked, "Is this you?"

Somehow, she'd been online with her phone and found the blog post mere minutes after I posted it.

She introduced herself and her husband who lived at the very north end of Little Blake Lake (on a point beyond the wild rice beds). She asked about where Sidetrack was and if the new fire pit was in the lot with all the fancy landscaping. She and her husband frequently paddle their canoe into the lake to catch fish. He recounted a story about catching a Muskie one spring and having to drag it onshore because he didn't have a net in the canoe. Then, since he was onshore, he helped Sidetrack's next door neighbor get his pump started for season.

We exchanged some more pleasantries and information (but not names).

I left, put the top down on the Miata, and drove back to Sidetrack with the wind in my hair and moderate amazement in my mind.

Came home to have dinner with our youngest son, who is in town for the evening.

We'll be back to Sidetrack next weekend.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?